Moving Overseas Shipping
Don’t Make These 3 Common Mistakes When Moving Overseas
March 25, 2015
Moving To Switzerland Happy
Why You’ll Be Happy If You’re Moving To Switzerland
April 27, 2015
Show all

Moving To The UK For Work: First Things To Do

Moving To The UK For Work

To help you avoid any issues and common mistakes that happen when moving overseas, here are few of the first things you should cover before moving overseas for work.

One would presume that if you are reading this you already know about or have a work visa but just in case you don’t, click here for more information here.

Find A Place To Live & A Place To Put Your Money

You will want to find a place within commuting distance of where you will be working. Many flats (like an apartment) can be rented furnished. You can look online in advance of your arrival at websites like this one for a flat or this one is good for both houses and flats.

You’ll need to set up a bank account asap. If you bank with one of the larger, worldwide banks, such as HSBC, they can set you up with a UK account before you move. If not ask your bank if they might have an arrangement with one of the British banks like Nat West, Lloyds or Barclays whereby they can help you set up an account. One this for sure is you will have to pay tax! It might be in the UK, or it might still be back home and suggest you get an international accounting firm to advice you. Taxes are collected by HM Revenue & Customs. One interesting aspect is that the UK tax year runs from 05 April to 04 April.

Absorb The Culture & Register For Healthcare

Integrating with the local community is an area that people can find intimidating, however, the fact that the UK is such a multi-cultural society means that it’s also easy to become accepted and blend in. Also it can be cool to sound different and you can sometimes use your accent to your advantage!

One of the things everyone admires most about England apart from the rain 🙂 is their healthcare system. The UK government provides free health care to every member of its society – and, most importantly to you, if you are living in the UK on any kind of visa for longer than 6 months. Once you have registered with your GP (Doctor), you may receive free National Health Service (NHS) medical treatment from the beginning of your stay, including free medical check-ups and hospital treatment like all UK citizens. Prescriptions cost about £6 per item. If your GP thinks that you need to see another specialist doctor in a hospital, he can refer you. This is also free.

Moving Your Stuff To The UK

You will probably want to ship some of your stuff to the UK as well, either personal bits & pieces if you are getting a furnished place or that and furniture if you are thinking of buying or renting unfurnished. EuroUSA International Movers can certainly advise and give you various service options and prices for your move overseas.

Mark Nash
Mark Nash
Our resident Moving Doctor, Mark Nash is the president of EuroUSA and has been in the moving business for over 33 years. He currently sits on the board of the International Shippers Association and the Commercial Affairs committee at the International Association of Movers.

Comments are closed.

Skip to content